Roasted Duck à l'orange

24 comments
Christmas is on its way... This means roasted duck time - my favourite German dish ever :)! Starting from November onward, you would start seeing duck or goose in the menu when you go to restaurants. The Germans usually eat roasted duck or goose on Christmas Eve, in some parts of Germany they also eat fried carp, but since I am not that fond of fish, I have never tried this other specialty. Last year I made traditional roasted duck with potato dumplings and red cabbage. For this year I wanted to make something slightly different, that's why I decided to use the homemade orange marmalade that my MIL gave me to make Ente à l'orange - Duck with orange sauce, a few days ago.






Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 1 duck (ca.1.5 kg)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 3 shallots, chopped coarsely
  • 2 tbs orange marmalade
  • 100 ml orange juice
  • 150 ml chicken stock
  • 150 ml white wine
  • 100 ml cream
  • dried chopped marjoram
  • Salt and black pepper
  • 1 tbs sugar
  • 1 tbs flour, mixed with 3 tbs of water
Instructions
  • Rub the duck with salt, pepper, orange marmalade and marjoram.
  • Put the duck into a roasting tin. Pour orange juice, chicken stock, white wine, chopped shallots and the bay leaf into the tin.
  • Roast the duck at medium temperature (150 C) for 2 - 2.5 hours. Check every half hour and keep adding hot water (even better, chicken stock) over the duck. I would say, 50-100 ml per half hour.
  • Remove the cooked duck from the roasting tin. Cover.
  • Sauce: Transfer the juice from duck into a saucepan and let it boil, adding cream, sugar, salt, pepper and the flour/water mixture.
  • Serve with potato dumplings, red cabbage and orange slices.


This meal is so festive and somehow always makes me feel happy eating it :)!


Look at my balcony! Isn't it pretty? I am really hoping for a white Christmas...!






Bookmark and Share
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

24 comments:

  1. Perfect roasted duck! Nice to enjoy a warm meal while enjoying White Christmas at the balcony :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, YUM! When is dinner? Looks so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That duck looks really festive and delicious! I like the way you decorate with the round mashed potatoes on the side...I agree your balcony looks pretty!:D Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. perfectly roasted duck CG and your balcony view is so awesome! i wish to have a white christmas too but it's not possible lol~ have a merry xmas and a happy new year CG!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the duck looks so delicious. CG, I wish my balcony will have as nice view as yours, I love white xmas but that will never happen to my balcony :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. eitss pake marmalade ternyata ya...dulu aku bego bikin "saos" sendiri. pake marmalade pasti lebih seippp

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roasted duck looks superb and tasty. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful preparation.

    `Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  8. this kinda food is right up my alley. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you get your white christmas too! As for your duck..it is sure to impress! I love orange with duck

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, love the pic of your balcony! So pretty. Oh well, I confirm it's a white X'mas! :o) And the roasted duck sounds perfect for this coming festive season. Happy Holiday to you. Enjoy & have lots of fun.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks delicious! Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done! Duck a la orange is one of those dishes that I've always wanted to try but have been too chicken (no pun intended) to do so! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow..looks awesome and delicious..i love to follow u.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my.... you are really making me hungry!!! Your duck looks so delicious... how I wish to eat it right now!

    And, the white snow... how I wish that I also have a white christmas! :)

    Merry Christmas to you and your family (incld. your cute bunnies)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one of my favorite dishes to eat too, and you've presented it on the plate so beautifully! That ceramic duck must be wondering if it's next...haha. The snow on your balcony is so pristine and serene, I hope it'll stay so you'll have a white Christmas too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a classic! Your duck looks so yummy! Dreaming of a white christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love duck! Can I come over to your house?

    ReplyDelete
  18. this looks perfect for Christmas..your duck looks mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, the duck looks perfect...the color and the presentation are awesome. By the way love the photo of your balcony...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never tried roasting a duck before, and yours look really good! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. merry xmas CG! have a wonderful xmas!

    ReplyDelete
  22. CG,Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The duck looks mouthwatering!
    I like your balcony :-) Who usually takes care of those plants on the balcony?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Passion4Food here to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year. May 2011 bring you lots of happiness and friendship. Have an awesome day with your love ones!!

    jen @ www.passion4food.ca

    ReplyDelete