Steamed Rice Rolls with Prawns - Chee Cheong Fun

20 comments

Chee Cheong Fun is always in my order list everytime I visit a Dim Sum restaurant. I especially like the ones filled with prawns.

I had always wondered how to make chee cheong fun. I had browsed some videos in YouTube, and found out that the traditional method to make this delicacy is to steam the rice rolls on a wet cloth. However, this method just somehow seems so unreachable to do at home - wet cloth on top of hot boiling water .... What gets into your mind? - Too much work, sounds time-consuming and messy somehow. That's why I did more research on how to do it differently. There are several good sites, explaining how you can make chee cheong fun at home using a non-stick baking pan, such as the one from Lili's Wei Sek Hong or from the Waitakere Redneck's Kitchen. This method is indeed easier and more accessible to do at home.

I have tried making chee cheong fun a few times and found out that it's really quite easy to prepare, but you need to be one patient person, since you will need to wait for the rice rolls to steam one by one. But having a big steamer might help reducing the waiting time. I have experimented with several recipes and modified them to my own liking. This recipe is the one I like most - the rolls turn out ricey but still have some bouncy chewiness.

Ingredients

Batter
  • 150 gr rice flour
  • 3 tbs wheat starch
  • 2 tbs tapioca flour
  • 1 tbs oil
  • 500 ml water
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Filling
  • Fresh prawns
Sweet Soy Sauce
  • 100 ml soy sauce
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp oil
What to do
  • Mix all of the ingredients for the batter.
  • Grease your non-stick pan with oil and then pour in a thin layer of the batter.
  • Steam the layer for 3 minutes.
  • Add 2-3 prawns and steam for 2 more minutes
  • Set aside for 1 minute and then roll the chee cheong fun
  • Repeat all the steps above until the batter is gone



Drizzle your chee cheong fun with the sweet soy sauce.

You can also create other types of chee cheong fun by, for example, adding green onions to the batter, so that the chee cheong fun look different. You can also fill in the rolls with anything that you want - the most common fillings are prawns, BBQ pork and beef.






Bookmark and Share
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

20 comments:

  1. These are so yummy! I don't think I've ever tried these before. Have to give it a shot next time we have dim sum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi! thanks for the recipe! i'm excited to try it out! you take some awesome pictures. they make me drool...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ya ampun rajin nya , not enough two thumbs up must be four jempols ha222
    gila22 cantik amat chee chong Fun nya !
    it's ones my favorite dimsum , recently eat @ Maxims HK , yummy banget !
    Btw nama kamu sapa non ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so crazy about this but didnt know how to make! thanks alot for this recipe, will practice very very soon! :) Love ya blog! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoaaaa... you made your own chee cheong fun? That's so nice... really looks like the ones in Chinese restaurant :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks great. I can't believe you make them at home. You're very good at it too. Nice post. Make me want to eat some of those rice rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, chee cheong fan you also can make! :D I feel so hungry looking at the prawns one :P~

    ReplyDelete
  8. just like you, these are always ordered on our dim sum excursions. yours looks just fabulous - excellent job!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All I have to say is, you're a truly talented cook!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey,
    I have guests for dinner and am thinking of making this dish.... can i prepare them in advance and store them in a casserole? and steam them just before being served??

    ReplyDelete
  11. To be true I have never stored any rice rolls before, so I cannot really advice you on this, but I am quite sure you can do so as long as you steam it again before you serve it. Sorry if I am not much help, I am still learning as well...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll try it... Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for posting this! I am going to try making them tonight. did you have to let the batter rest for an hour before using it? also, other recipes only call for 400 mL of water. Please confirm that you need 2 cups for this recipe. thanks so much! can't wait to eat these :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just tried your recipe and it was Great :) thank you so much! When I post this on my food blog, I will link your website. http://www.cookingwithali.wordpress.com

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. great recipe!!! thanks for posting this. I have a question... Can I purchase the chee cheong fun noodles already made? and if so do you have an idea where I might find them? I live in southern california. THANK YOU :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Jessie - I don't think I can answer your question, because I have never been to California. But it might be possible to find them in some local Asian grocery stores there. Sorry if I am not much of a help...!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I tried the recipe and followed all the ingredients and steps, but the rice rolls were very chewy, unlike those in the Chinese restaurant. I wonder how to make it smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The recipe was a succes! But it was so hard to roll the prawns! Practice practice practice. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete